“Brownswood Bubblers provides a platform for unsung heroes and emerging talent from the Worldwide underground. The series distils the stream of exciting new artists that have become semi-permanent fixtures in Gilles’ playlists and DJ sets of late to create a suite of perfect bumps.”
Seven volumes deep and counting, Gilles’ journey through the worldwide underground continues. The inaugural Bubblers saw the likes of Colonel Red, Iman and the mighty Simbad cosy up to beat conducting supremos Shawn J Period, Morgan & Steve Spacek and Eric Lau. DAMN! Chapter Two uncovered the crackly genius of Flying Lotus, Jamie Woon and showcased the irrepressible IG Culture in his New Sector Movements guise, whilst the third installment highlighted the talents of Bullion, DJ Day, Stacey Epps and Emanative feat. Ahu. Last year we brought you volume four, kicking off with the honey-coated Motor City soul vibes purveyed by Mayer Hawthorne on ‘Maybe So Maybe No’ and weaving a path through to Lone’s lush, widescreen beatscape ‘Sea Spray’ via Oumou Sangaré’s soaring African melodies, Maryland beatmaker yU’s coarsely chopped hip hop soul and the rich sub low cinematics of Floating Points. Jazzanova’s Alex Barck proclaimed it simply the best Bubblers to date and the plaudits came thick and fast.
- Places Everyone - Period, Shawn J.
- Blue Eye Blak - Colonel Red
- Soul Fever - Simbad & Steelo
- Miss Moral - Benny Sings & The Rednose District
- A Conta Do Samba - Tita Lima
- Feeling Free - Willis, Nicole & The Soul Investigators
- Nothing Else - Westbeech, Ben
- Who Was I Trying To Fool - man
- iiiii - Morgan & Steve Spacek
- Can We Go Back - Ayak & First Man
- Heavy - Choklate
- Dreamer - James, Jose
- I'm Fine - Lau, Eric & Rahel
- Over It - Yellowtail & Jeni Fujita